Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Campaign Idea: The Borderlands

EDIT:  If you're one of my players please do not click the links to the free megadungeon or Yaqqothl Grimoire.  They contain spoilers.

I've been thinking about it a bit more, and I've come up with this model for the next campaign.
  • The rules set for the beginning is Mentzer Basic and only Mentzer Basic.  Once the characters get to level 4 I'll bring in bits from the RC.
  • I'll start with B2: Keep on the Borderlands because it appears that none of my players are familiar with it, and though I have some problems with it it's kind of a rite of passage.
  • I'm going to fill in the Cave of the Unknown with the free megadungeon from the Yaqqothl Grimoire.  I'm still working on the second level -- I spilled coffee all over my map.  You should see it on the blog once I get a cleaned up version.
  • The keep itself is fed by a town that's fairly nearby.  I'll develop it as necessary for the campaign.
  • The land beyond the keep, i.e. the Borderlands, is a wild and untamed region.  It terminates in the realms of Chaos which are just as off the map as the Realm of Man.
  • The goal of the campaign is to explore the Borderlands and eventually set up your own baronies in it.  This will not be easy.
  • The "Evil Chaos" mentioned in B2 will get a more suitable name and have an active cult among the savages in the Borderlands.
  • Everything else will be developed on an as needed basis.
I might work up a rough map of the rest of the borderlands and post it here in a bit.  I'm not 100% sure this is what I'm going with, but it looks fun to me.

1 comment: