Wednesday, November 23, 2011

More Unfocused Thoughts on Arklyrell



It's been a while since I messed around with this, but I've had a bunch of ideas I haven't articulated so here they are:

  • A lot of this setting will be based on The Sword's Album Warp Riders.  They're both set on a tidally locked planet of science fantasy nonsense, so I thought they fit well together.
  • The south is ruled by the Chronomancer, a pseudo-immortal God-Lich of immense power.  He trades minerals and other natural resources with the civilizations on the campaign map that are mined on the Day Side of the planet.  He does this with a horrid, skeletal work-force.
  • The Chronomancer is probably equal amounts machine and undead.
  • The Elves on the Night Side get more tribal as it gets colder.  The ones closest to the sea are (comparatively) hospitable.
  • One of the cities in the icy part of the map is totally going to be Vornheim.
  • System will probably be LL + AEC so that I can have some of the doofier classes like Illusionist and Assassin in there.  I'll also add some weird races like Ghuls.
  • Equipment list will include a giant, white dragonfly that you can purchase as a mount.
  • I might get rid of the Roc nests, but I'm not sure about that yet.  They provide a good excuse for the large citadels.  It's sorta like Might & Magic 1 where the people live in underground cities to avoid being burned to death by dragons.
  • Treasure tables are totally going to include Mutant Future artifacts.
  • I need to work the Fuel-less Fire in there somewhere. (In case you haven't guessed from the other posts that mention it in passing, the Fuel-less Fire is a sentient patch of radiation).
  • I bet I'd use the Fiend Folio pretty heavily when making wandering monster tables, but that's just a guess.
  • There are ruins on both the Day and the Night Side.  No one knows how they got there.
  • I've pretty much settled on the human settlements on the islands being grunting, Mycenaean types.
  • Dwarves are gross, genetically engineered degenerates who mine precious things out of the mountains on the islands.  Rumor says that a strange, dark skinned race of Dwarves lives on the Day Side, but that's probably impossible.
That's all for now.  I'm probably not going to do much more with this, but that stuff had been in my mind for a while.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting world. Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds just wonderful. I've been listening to that album a lot lately (and Gods of the Earth) and can't wait to see more of this setting.

    ReplyDelete