Saturday, December 3, 2011

Nightwick Abbey ConstantCon Session... What is it, 5?

This post provided by Zzarchov, who played Samson (a 1st level Cleric)


Commander's Journal: The descent into the abbey


Today I had to test my vast leadership skills to their very core. I was forced to lead a band of rag tag "greens" into a dangerous ruin of a fallen church. Undaunted, I clenched my jaw and set to work, the cool morning breeze blowing my golden locks. Our team began by noticing several recently constructed arches amongst the ruins. They appeared to be coated in a thick slime that was both burned by holy water, and in my personal opinion, foul tasting. Making note of this (I assume someone did) we moved on and investigated the ruins of the south tower, or maybe it was the north tower. It was a tower, and that is what is important. Leadership requires confidence more than facts.


Dropping one of the many glowing stones I had acquired into the tower we saw it was a long way down. As superior leadership requires a clear mind, I decided to lower everyone else down first, allowing me a top down view of any potential problems should they arise. Forcing our way into the tower I lead the group down a stairway until we came to two doors. Using my raw muscle, I easily cracked the door leading to the interior of a tower, allowing one of my subordinates to easily finish opening it with a crowbar. The room appeared empty except for large amounts of rotted wood and slime. I attempted to throw a glowing rock to the ceiling, to see how high the room was, but a strong updraft prevented my rock from sailing more than five feet in an awkward motion, as if thrown by a small infirm child. Sensing nothing of value we moved the only other room available.


This room was surrounded by a large number of sealed iron doors and portucullii. An absolutely fabulous table of great workmanship dominated the room. It was a little rough, but with some proper care I am certain this table could be worth a fortune on the antique market. It is over 200 years old and still functional as a torture device, they just don’t build them to last like that anymore. Exploring around the area we uncovered an oubliette and several unfortunate skeletons trapped in cages. While others dallied about, I bravely cracked open each of their rotted wooden cages with loud snaps. I then assembled the bodies for removal from the dungeon for proper burial, before examining one of the portcullii.


Unfortunately I over-estimated the competence of one of my juniors, I think his name was Chuck (editors note: He was not named Chuck). Who upon opening one of the cells loudly called the attention of a large group of hideous monsters, squat little dwarves of stone and flame belching smoke and embers. Thinking quickly I threw my waterskin onto one of them, extinguishing much of its embers. Then I carefully dove into the partially flooded oubliette to lure them to their doom. Unfortunately it appears some of my subcontractors panicked or were injured by these creatures (including one of the poor dogs, also some temp whose name I didn’t care enough to learn). However the creatures were defeated, the final one extinguishing around me in the water amidst a cloud of sparks and smoke.


I was raised out of the oubliette, and looked over by my fellow clergyman Chuck (editors note: Still not named Chuck). Given a clean bill of health, I combed the water out of my golden locks and we left the dungeon victorious, burying the body of our recently felled comrade as well as the poor souls who’s bodies we liberated from that fell place.


Granting their spirits rest with a proper burial is the real treasure you see, and that is why this mission was a rousing success. A. Rousing. Success.


Yours Truly,
Samson Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment